Friday, February 24, 2017

Wood harvest

This winter has been milder than last winter so far. We have more than half of our wood left. We burned through all of the wood we bought and are burning the wood we cut last winter. We started harvesting dead trees off our land for next winters firewood so it has several months to dry and cure. My husband cuts and bucks the tree and I haul the logs and stack them. Winter weather of 20 degrees is the perfect temp to do this sort of work, no bugs and you stay nice and cool.






























This pile is from two aspen trees, one of which the wood peckers were going after and we split open part of it to discover a colony of frozen flying ants, it was pretty neat.


I have been busy sewing baby bibs and revamping my etsy shop. https://www.etsy.com/shop/handmadebynikki057?ref=search_shop_redirect 
I also was able to connect with a local gift shop to sell my baby bibs there. I am continuing to network and connecting with local people about the summer events and craft shows.





I taught my second class through community ed. It was DIY body care products. We made champagne whipped body butter, alpine sea salt foot scrub with juniper oil and rose clay mud mask. I also threw in some of my homemade sea salt caramels. My class sizes have been small but the student reviews have been positive. I hope they continue to grow. It seems like small towns are always looking for new people to teach their skills through community education. If you have cool skills give teaching a try.

 There was a cold snap for a few days so I got busy crafting. I made an earring holder out of a frame and some scrap chicken wire I got from the neighbor. Now I can hang my earrings and not keep them in a giant pile. 



My son and I kept busy doing science, we made fake snow and gak. My son loved the fake snow and thought the gak was too weird. I will post the recipes below. Both of these projects can be kept in a plastic zip lock bag after and used again.


http://www.funathomewithkids.com/2014/11/magic-puffing-snow-recipe.html



http://www.pbs.org/parents/crafts-for-kids/gak-attack/










No comments:

Post a Comment